QatarEnergy has awarded key engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) contracts worth $10 billion for the North Field South (NFS) project, which comprises two liquefied natural gas (LNG) mega trains with a combined capacity of 16 million tons per annum (MTPA). The EPC contract was awarded to a joint venture of Technip Energies and Consolidated Contractors Company (CCC).
NFS, together with the North Field East (NFE) project, will increase Qatar’s LNG production capacity from the current 77 MTPA to 126 MTPA. QatarEnergy holds a 75 per cent interest in the NFS project and has already signed partnership agreements with TotalEnergies, Shell, and ConocoPhillips for the remaining 25 per cent.
The EPC contract’s scope covers the construction of two mega LNG trains with a capacity of 8 MTPA each, with associated facilities for gas treatment, natural gas liquids recovery, as well as helium extraction and refining in Ras Laffan Industrial City.
In addition to the carbon capture and sequestration facilities, the environmental attributes of the NFS project include importing a significant portion of the project’s electrical power requirements from the grid in the form of renewable solar power, which will be generated at QatarEnergy’s solar power facilities currently under construction in Ras Laffan.
It also includes a ‘jetty boil-off gas’ recovery system, which will help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The project will also conserve 5 million cu m of water per year by recovering 75 per cent of the plant’s tertiary water.